Friday, September 11, 2009

Living the Dream, part 1

Last weekend, I was asked what my perfect dream job would be.  I thought for a second and said, “To make something, and sell it!”  But make what? 

There are dozens of things I would love to make!  But, a few that I decided on this week are:  baby leg warmers (Ella practically LIVED in her legwarmers last winter!  They’re so comfy cozy!), hair clips and hair bows (can’t be that hard, right?), and wool dryer balls (did you know that the plastic ones are made out of PVC?  For those of you who don’t know this, PVC is one of the dangerous plastics that should be avoided if you can). 

So I started on the wool dryer balls.  I did a little research and found people who sell their wool balls for $7 EACH!  Or, for $22 for 4 balls!  I couldn’t believe it!  …but then I started to make them, and NOW I get it!  It takes a long, long time to make wool dryer balls.  It’s not difficult work, but it does take a long time.  So when my first set of balls are done, I’ll post pictures of them. 

I haven’t started on the clippies yet.  I kind of want to do one thing at a time and see how it goes (or 2 or 3…).  But, I DID make a leg warmer!  I say “a” leg warmer because I messed the first one up.  But, I figured I should still try the second one, so that when I try again, I know what I’m doing.  It turned out ok!  Still not perfect, but I think that my first “real” pair will work out well. 

Observe: 

100_7674

Today, I got out my sewing machine and did a little side project that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time.  I made a slip cover for my baby carrier!  The carrier I have is a babyhawk mei tai.  I forgot to take a “before” photo—but basically, the print was blue and brown dots.  Not very exciting, and not very pretty.  But, with this 2-sided cover that I made, I can now wear Ella in these two prints:

100_7672 100_7673

Tadaaaaa!!  I actually feel pretty proud of myself, since I haven’t done much sewing—and the little that I have done was a long, long time ago (think years).  I’m excited to try it out with her in it!  :)  And, I’m excited to try other sewing projects as well!  :) 

And, just because I can’t resist showing cute pictures of Ella, I love these: 

100_7666 100_7668  100_7671

Ok, so those show off the diaper more than her, but still… too cute not to share.  :)  Anyway, there’s my dream, out in the open!  To make stuff and sell it!  If you have any ideas of other cute or fun things I could make, I’m open to ideas!  On my list of “someday, maybe” are: clothes, knitting hats, longies, and sweaters, and diapers (Yes, I’m still on the diaper kick!)! 

0 comments: