Thursday, September 3, 2009

My new obsession

CLOTH DIAPERS!!

Before Ella was born, we had planned to go the cloth route—but then she was here, and we hadn’t bought them yet. We were able to go almost 2 months without buying diapers since we had received so many as gifts. At that point, we kind of shrugged the idea of using cloth. The start-up costs can be 2-3 hundred dollars, and the disposables were working fine.

Fast forward to a little over a month ago. I’ve been reconsidering using cloth diapers off and on for many months, and then decided one day that I should just do it. So I went to Sprout Soup and bought my first cloth diapers.

I ended up leaving the store with enough Gro Baby diapers to get me through a day and a half to two days of diapering. These are really great diapers, because they’re really user-friendly! The days of pinning diapers is OVER (well, I guess some people still do it, but they don’t have to!). These diapers have velcro-like tabs and essentially work like a disposable diaper. But, they’re much cuter!

Since then, I have tried a few different kinds of diapers, and I LOVE them!

These adorable beauties just arrived today:

100_7628

These are Goodmama diapers. They are called “fitted” diapers. They have elastic around the waist and legs, and snaps to close them. Again, very user friendly. These diapers are not waterproof though—they require a diaper cover if you don’t want to get wet. :) I like these kinds of diapers because they’re so soft, and still really easy to use.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about either making my own diapers or starting a business and selling diapers. They’ve very quickly become an obsession. I’ve been forbidden from buying any more though, so I have to use what I have and be happy. I am. But, it is fun to try new things. And, I was just telling Wes tonight that as much as I would like to start a diaper business, I’m not sure that I have the skills to do so. Maybe one day, he’ll help me (because he has the organizational skills that I completely lack). :)

Anyway, the experience has been different than I imagined. Better. Easier. Cloth diapers don’t have to be gross, or scary, or difficult. Those are all myths. So join the club! Get hooked on cloth!! We have almost no trash anymore as a result of switching to cloth! We already recycle, so without the disposable diapers filling our bins, we’re left with minimal waste. Plus, they’re just so darn cute!

0 comments: