Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sewing Mama

I recently decided that I wanted to use my sewing machine more.  There was a sale at JoAnn’s a few weeks ago, where I was able to buy several yards (ok, a few more than I actually needed…!) of adorable flannel.  I made cloth wipes out of it, and love them!  I can use them as baby wipes, tissues, washcloths, napkins, and more!  My favorite print is the alien print:

100_8286

They’re so fun and cute! 

Then, I was struck with inspiration to make Ella a dress for Valentine’s day.  Now, I’ve never made a dress, or any other article of clothing for that matter.  But I want to learn!  So on February 13th (yes, the day before V-day!) I found some fabric that would work.  I didn’t have a pattern, so I made one up.  I took a few measurements, drew it out on tissue paper, and went to work.  I don’t have any photos of just the dress, but I did take some of Ella wearing it! 

100_8337 100_8338

She totally has some crazy baby hair going on after a day of playing, sleeping, and just being a toddler.  :)  I was proud of my first attempt at a dress and hope to try something more complicated (and maybe even use a pattern?!) next time. 

Today has been a fun day of sewing too!  A friend of mine asked if someone could make her some baby doll diapers, and I volunteered.  After one completely failed attempt, I was able to make these:

 

100_8363 100_8362

Three baby-doll sized diapers, with a little pouch that holds three flannel baby wipes!  They’re not perfect, but I’m happy with how they turned out!  :)  If only I knew how to sew as a child—I would have made my dolls all kinds of cool things!  I look forward to making more doll diapers and clothes in the future! 

0 comments: